Tuesday 29 March 2016

Field study, interview transcript


Route: 6, T-centralen <—> Slussen.
Target group: Frequent travellers.
Method: semi-structured interview.
Place: Gamla stan metro station.
Time: Mon 22 feb, forenoon.

I geared up with half a bag of individually wrapped candies (fruktkolor, tveksamt aptitliga), and a sign taped to the bag stating:

"Ta en kola, svara på en fråga." (Have a taffy, answer a question.)

Thus armed I positioned myself on the metro platform, knowing that everyone who would enter or exit a metro car would be travelling on our chosen route.

Moving along the platform I first targeted preadolescents, hoping that they would not be too self-important to reject gifted candy. (But at the same time being mature enough to reject what their parents had told them about such gifts from strangers.)

As their grubby little paws clutched a taffy, older travellers observed and accepted this social norm, making them more approachable in turn.

My one question to all travellers was: "How often do you take the metro to-or-from Gamla stan?"

This was my demographic test. If the answer was every week or more, then as they caressed the wrapping of their gifted taffy, I would continue with: "Great! I'm doing a survey for a course in KTH and you're exactly who I'm looking for. Can I ask you 5 more quick questions?"

This procedure goes against the course literature's suggestions of starting by presenting the interviewer and the goals of the interview, providing informed consent and reassuring the interviewee about ethical issues. But on the upside I did not waste their time and they all seemed happy or at least content. (I did not even briefly waste the time of people who declined answering my questions, because no one declined, thus no non-response bias.)

Junior-school boy 1.
How often do you take the metro to-or-from Gamla stan?
Only when I'm going to Jesper. [How often is that?] Depends, perhaps every week? We usually go to my place.

Junior-school boy 2 (Jesper).
And how often do you take the metro to-or-from Gamla stan?
Every day, almost. To school and such. [Morning and afternoon then?] Yeah.

Great! I'm doing a survey for a course in KTH and you're exactly who I'm looking for. Can I ask you 5 more quick questions?
Yes, ok.

Where do you usually stand on the platform?
Not too close to the edge. [Haha I meant along the platform, near the entrances or in between.] Oh I usually walk over here because it's where I should exit [from his exit station].

What do you usually do while you're waiting for the metro and while you're in the metro train?
We're usually talking, or I'm using my mobile. (Junior-school boy 1: And games.)

Do you have the SL mobile app?
Yes. [Do you use it?] Not really.

What do you like about the metro?
I don't know. You can go to different places.

Anything you don't like about it?
When you have to stand up.

Senior man.
How often do you take the metro to-or-from Gamla stan?
Oh it adds up, often enough. [So pretty much every week?] Yes.

Great! I'm doing a survey for a course in KTH and you're exactly who I'm looking for. Can I ask you 5 more quick questions?
Do I get 5 more taffies? [Haha we'll see.]

Where do you usually stand on the platform?
At my age you see... I usually walk until I find a bench.

What do you usually do while you're waiting for the metro and while you're in the metro train?
It depends, sometimes I read Metro, sometimes I have something else with me.

Do you inform yourself about anything before or while you are using the metro?
What's that? I don't understand. [What information do you look at to help with your trip?] Oh I don't make any great plans for taking the metro. [Do you look at the signboard above the platform?] Oh yes of course, and I listen to the speaker and the announcements on the train. *Looks around searchingly* And I use the maps when I'm going far. Mostly to see how many stops it'll be.

Do you use the SL mobile app?
Yes, I have it. [Do you use it?] I suppose I could use it more.

What information about the metro would you like to have?
If there are any problems and if there are delays.

Woman, late 40's.
How often do you take the metro to-or-from Gamla stan?
2-3 times per week.

Great! I'm doing a survey for a course in KTH and you're exactly who I'm looking for. Can I ask you 5 more quick questions?
So you're just asking some questions. [Yes.] Ok.

Where do you usually stand on the platform?
Depends on where I'm going. I don't like it when the train's are short.

What do you like about using the metro?
It's convenient. Many stops in the inner city, and gets you far into the suburbs. You don't have to wait too much.

Does anything bother you?
Yes! Let's see. They are really noisy, I mean the wagons but the people too sometimes, and it's never really clean anywhere, just icky. They haven't really made any newer wagons for ages. Is that what you are doing, in KTH? [This project is looking at ways to improve the information in and around the metro.] That's good. [Anything else that bothers you?] Yes but I can't think of it right now.

How about things that worry you when you are using the metro.
I don't use the metro at night, at such times I'll take a taxi. [Why?] Well you don't know who's hanging around here then.

What do you usually do while you're waiting for the metro and while you're in the metro train?
These days reading on the mobile is common.


I talked to one more person but didn't transcribe it and promptly forgot most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment