Monday 7 March 2016

Field study/Transcript – Thony Price


This interview was carried out on my way to school because my route passes through the stations of interest, Slussen and T-Centralen, this was during the morning rush about 8 am. This gave the best odds to find a participant fit for our population, daily commuters. The interviewee at hand would also be a probability sample which supposedly gives more generalizable data.

The question we had prepared was designed to be open and useful in a semi-structured way with space follow up questions. I took notes as fast as possible during the interview and as soon as it was done filled in the gaps and clarified thoughts that was hard to transcribe during the interview. This is the result:

Population check: How often du you commute and through which regions?
Everyday, bus from Orminge to Slussen and Slussen to T-centralen by subway.

Do you use the SL-app? To do what?
Yes, I do. Use route planner, really often.

What’s most important when you travel by the subway?
That I can rely on the planned route.

What’s your worst-case-scenario when commuting?
Major delays. Because when making plans, meetings, airport-check-ins you must put your faith in SL’s hands and pray. If they’re late it can have big consequences or lead to mych frustration.

What do you like about the subway?
That most part of the time it works flawlessly.

What information du you miss?
Better info on connections, when I switch from bus to subway or vice versa I always need to check the SL-app to know if I should hurry or not to minimize my waiting time.

How about the environment/comfort/safeness on the sub?
I like it, especially the SL-helpers that usually work on the bigger stations and also the camera monitoring.

Why are you commuting and doesn’t travel by car for example?
It’s the best option both concerning time and price when compared to go by car.

How do you occupy yourself during the commute?
I read books or prepare work.

What is the worst characteristics of Slussen/T-Centralen?
In T-Centralen it’s insanely crowded most times and a bit dirty.

What annoys you the most and why?
High prices because, yeah it's pricy! And delays because you depend so much on it to be on time.

What should be done about it?
SL needs to buy better trains and if there’s a delay I want to know right away, alternative routs would be nice or that the route planner changes the route to a better option. 

Before our ways parted I asked for premission to share the answers and luckily my wish was granted, this of course is smarter to do before asking away..! 

No comments:

Post a Comment