Monday 28 March 2016

Field study, interview transcript - Johan Sannemo

I performed my interviews at T-centralen during early afternoon, to avoid the crowded rush.

My first interview was performed with a woman in her late 20s, studying for a medical profession.

How often do you travel by subway?
Every weekday, from Sundbyberg to T-centralen (blue line), and then from T-centralen to Slussen (red/green line).

What is the worst that could happen on the subway?
A terrorist bombing, or some other similar event.

What do you like about the subway?
The frequence of departure is very good.

What do you think works perfectly about the subway?
The night and weekend schedule covers my needs perfectly

What information do you miss in the subway?
Don’t know. More information about the “resegarantier” during delays. It would be nice if it was easier to know what exit I should take, when I’m going somplace new.

Why do you use the subway instead of travelling by car?
I don’t have my driver’s license yet. If I had my driver’s license, I wouldn’t use the subway as much (possibly when going to party, since I

What bothers you about the subway?
The turnstiles. Especially when people try to pass through them by going behind me. Makes me feel really uncomfortable and scared, especially late at night. The turnstiles themselves also feels dangerous.

How’s the environment on the subway around TC/Slussen?
It’s way too crowded. Sometimes I don’t even get on a subway because of all the people.

How do you occupy yourself when you travel?
In general I use my phone. If I travel with someone I know, I talk to them.



My second interview was performed with a male high school student.

How often do you travel by subway?
I commute several times a week, mostly using the red line to T-centralen.

Why do you use the subway?
It’s both cheaper and more environmentally friendly than traveling by car. I don’t have a car either. For shorter distances I mostly walk instead.

What do you like about the subway?
It’s a very fast and convenient method of transport. It has a good reach.

What’s most important for you when traveling by subway?
That my trip is not delayed.

How do you find the environment in the subway?
I like the design of the platforms in general, so I’ve never really had a problem with the exterior environment. I’ve never felt unsafe in the subway system, except during an occasional trip late at night.

What do you usually do when you are waiting for the subway, or during the subway trip?
I often sit and play around with my phone. Sometimes I do my math homework.

What’s the worst part of travelling at T-centralen?
The crowdedness! There is so much people, especially in the morning and early evening.

Do you use the SL app?
Yes

What information in the app do you find most useful?
The real time information. I find it very useful to know if a train is delayed or not.


The interviewees were informed about the context of the interview. The interviews were recorded typing on a laptop, which the interviewee were then given a chance to read through the typed notes to add additional context or clarifications.

In general, a big problem is the crowdedness at the stations. A product to decrease the crowdedness without having to increase the number of trains departing would be a good area to focus on. Both of the interviewees use their phone a lot in the subway, so a mobile application could be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment