Monday 2 May 2016

Individual think-aloud

Female, 20's, technology-savy, on-and-off metro commuter:

So I'm at T-Centralen and I'm going to Södermalmstorg...

I'm not absolutely certain where Södermalmstorg is, so I open the SL-app, it knows where I am and I input "Sodermalmstorg". I only have to input "sö" and tap the correct suggestion, easily done.

Given that it uses locations known to the app, I feel that I should not have to confirm the route again, but that's fine.

I get suggestions of arrangements for my route, and I pick the first one without thinking about it further. Perhaps I'm slightly frustrated by the previous seemingly excessive confirmation.

I see that I'm supposed to take the red line, so I look up from the app and make sure that I'm walking in the right direction.

Having spotted a sign with a red arrow directing me to the platform for the train towards Norsborg, i return my gaze to the app.

I see that I want to be toward the left side of the train (as viewed from the platform), to disembark nearest to the pink station exit. I return the phone to my pocket and continue walking toward the platform.

I arrive at the platform and see that the trains toward Norsborg are on my left. This means that I want to sit in the opposite end of the train, so I start walking along the platform.

I look at my phone again to make sure that I'm not mistaken. I never closed the SL-app so it's still showing me the same route arrangement. I see that it had indeed indicated the left side of the train. Pink exit — that bit I remembered more clearly.

I notice that the coming train is crowded near my exit, which makes me less motivated to keep walking toward it. I'm at mid-platform and there should be some seats there on the train, so I stop and wait the remaining minute before the train arrives. Sitting, if only for about 5 minutes, will be nice.

I close the app to read some mails, making a last mental note: Pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment