Wednesday 24 February 2016

Field study/Transcript - Niklas Lindqvist


The interview tool place during lunchtime at T-centralen Stockholm. I would describe the environment as less crowded than usual which was pleasant for the sake of the interview.

As we previously decided, in exercise 1, our focus group was every day travelers I tied to look for someone that did seem to know where they were going and at the same time not to be in a hurry. I found a young man, a student it turned out, who was willing to answer some questions about Stockholm’s Underground system.

The goal of questions was to determine what the everyday travelers experience as satisfying with the Underground and also what they did not like about the current situation of Stockholm’s underground.

The questions that we had prepared was Open questions and as neutral as possible, with follow-up questions to get a more in depth data and hopefully some interesting observations done by the travelers. When I decided which prepared question and in what order I followed Robeson’s suggested order in five steps.

The following questions was answered:
-         Demographic tests: How often do you travel by the underground and in which areas?
4 times a week, both ways. I travel between Uppsala and Stockholm.

-        What do you usually occupy yourself while in the underground?
I usually read a book on the commuter train, in the subway I always listen to music, if I don’t travel together with someone I know.

-         Do you use the application from SL?
Yes, but only if I don’t know the way. I don’t have to check it every day since I already know the times for my trains.

-         Which information given in the app do you use the most?
The time of departure, and rout for when I don’t know the way.

-         Which information do you miss out?
Which exit I’m supposed to take. Doesn’t show on the app.

-         What do you think about the environment on the underground station?
At T-Centralen I think it’s too crowded. There is always like two streams of people that collide with each other. I usually enter the train close to the exit, even thou it’s sometimes more crowded.
-Why?
Because I don’t want to collide on the way to the middle of the platform

-         What parts, if any, do you like the most about the underground?
It’s cheap in compared to car and other ways of traveling. Also it fits my travel rout perfectly.

-         Do you have any nightmare scenario when traveling by the underground?
When the train is so late/cancel that I don’t arrive in time for an exam or presentation.


-         Is there any information given on the platform you like in particular?
The signs and the time of arrival.

-         Is there anything you think works perfect on the platform or surrounding areas?
The swipes

As I carried out the questions myself I took notes during the interviewee’s answers and a short time after. Afterwards I also checked that the interviewee agreed with the notes that I had taken so that no misunderstanding had been done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment